Major League Baseball's second in command said on Wednesday night that he was still "guardedly optimistic" that the U.S. Treasury Dept. will approve a reapplication for a license so Cuba can participate in the World Baseball Classic.
Major League Baseball reapplied to the U.S. Treasury Dept. on Thursday for a license so Cuba can participate in next year's inaugural World Baseball Classic, an MLB official said.
U.S. Olympic Committee chairman Peter Ueberroth called on the Bush administration to reverse its decision to keep Cuba out of next year's World Baseball Classic.
Major League Baseball will continue its pursuit of having Cuba participate in the inaugural World Baseball Classic in March despite an adverse ruling this week by the U.S. Treasury Department, MLB's top official in charge of the tournament said on Friday.
Cuba won't be allowed to send a team to next year's inaugural World Baseball Classic, the U.S. government told event organizers Wednesday.
Cuba seems to be preparing to participate in next year's inaugural World Baseball Classic -- the first international tournament to include Major League players -- Cuban president Fidel Castro said on several occasions the last week in Havana.